Dear Parents and Guardians,
In this e-mail:
1. Summer Orchestra
2. Playing Tests
4. Scale Pass-Offs
5. Concert attendance opportunities
1. Summer Orchestra will be June 6-June 23rd Monday-Thursday each week. We will have a short concert at the end. If your child will be participating in summer orchestra, please fill out this google form: http://goo.gl/forms/GsztRlOjjE
Then, please fill out and send payment with the registration form (I'll attach to this e-mail and also have paper copies available in class).
2. I wanted to give the students as much time as possible to learn and perfect their music before beginning playing tests. However, we had to start tests last week and will have another test this week. Each piece we are playing for the concert will be tested during class or after school if the student prefers. All of the completed tests have been entered into powerschool.
3. Our last CMS Concert of the year is on Tuesday, May 10th at 6:00pm. Call-time for students is 5:30pm. We will end the concert with over 200 students from grades 5-12 playing Orpheus in the Underworld (aka The Can-Can).
Students in Advanced orchestra only will be performing for Open house on Thursday, May 19th from 6:30-7:30. Call time is however much time they need to get tuned and set up in the cafeteria.
4. We will begin our scale pass-offs as soon as we are finished with our concert. The scales and arpeggios must be memorized (3rds too for advanced). Each scale will be graded as pass/fail. Failed tests may be redone after school. Students may complete these before our concert if they want to stay after school to do so. This is a large portion of the student grade for the class this quarter. We have devoted a great deal of class time to learning scales.
5. These are the concert opportunities I am aware of for Q4:
Thursday, May 12 - 7:00pm Suzuki Strings - Free
Tuesday, May 17th - 7:00pm Cedar High School Orchestra - Free
Wednesday, May 18 - 7:00pm Canyon View HS Orchestra - Free
Thursday, May 19 - 6:30-7:30pm - CMS Advanced Orchestra plays for CMS Open House
6. Please encourage your child to practice every day. A student is unlikely to show great enough improvement in skills if he or she only plays during class. Individual practice time is essential to building muscle memory and individual understanding of the musical concepts presented during class.
Have a great week!