Dear Parents and Guardians,
In this e-mail:
1. New music
2. Playing tests
3. Concert attendance project
4. Practice expectations
5. Festival Thanks
1. We are continuing to work on Vibrato and scales out of the method books. The students got new music yesterday (Christmas Eve 12/24, Happy Holidays/White Christmas, and Boreas). We are working hard on the skills required to play the pieces for our upcoming December Concert (December 8th at 6:00pm). Students will also perform Rhythmic Snapshots of Christmas like they did at the festival this weekend.
2. We will have a playing test on each piece as we learn it. Our first playing test will be on Rhythmic Snapshots of Christmas. As always, if a student would like to redo a playing test, I stay after school on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
3. Q2 Concert Attendance Opportunities:October 28 – 7:30pm SUU Orchestra @ Heritage Center. I’ll have free tickets available in class
October 28 – 7:00pm Canyon View HS Orchestra @ CVHS Free
November 12 – 7:30pm Orchestra of Southern Utah @ Heritage Center $5/students. I have a few free tickets available for this concert for families who otherwise couldn't afford to attend. Please contact me for tickets.
December 2 – 7:30pm Manheim Steamroller @ SUU Centrum (tickets start at $54)
December 4 – 7:30pm SUU Orchestra @ Heritage Center (I can probably get free tickets to hand out for this one too).
December 13 and 14 – 7:30pm Orchestra of Southern Utah – Messiah –@ Heritage Center - Free (get there early)
December 15 – CVMS Orchestra @ Canyon View MS time? Free
December 16 – 7:00pm CHS Orchestra @ Cedar High School
There are more string concerts down in St. George, Vegas, and up in SLC. This is just a quick list I was able to find online around Cedar City. Any string concert will work.
4. It is so great when I ask the class who practiced last night and almost every student in the class has a hand raised! Thank you for all you do to encourage your child to practice every day. It helps your child improve and it helps our orchestra sound its best!
5. Thank you for everyone who helped out at our festival on Saturday! The kids did a great job representing our school and our orchestra. I hope the kids all had as much fun as I did at the festival.
Have a great week!