Dear Parents and Guardians,
In this e-mail:
1. New music
2. Playing tests
3. Concert attendance project
4. Practice expectations
1. We are continuing to push forward in our method book. This week, the students have learned about 2/4 time (counting, playing, and conducting), have continued to work on reading their notes of the D major scale more fluently, and have really been focusing on getting a good tone while bowing. We have talk about using bow placement (parallel to bridge, between bridge and fingerboard) with good bow hold, enough weight on the bow and enough bow speed. Later this week or at the start of next week we will be getting new sheet music and collecting the old "Tune-A-Rumble".
2. We will have a playing test on No. 76 in the book ("For Pete's sake"). We will do the playing test on Thursday and Friday this week. As always, if a student would like to redo a playing test, I stay after school on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
3. Q2 Concert Attendance Opportunities:October 28 – 7:30pm SUU Orchestra @ Heritage Center. I’ll have free tickets available in class
October 28 – 7:00pm Canyon View HS Orchestra @ CVHS Free
November 12 – 7:30pm Orchestra of Southern Utah @ Heritage Center $5/students. I have a few free tickets available for this concert for families who otherwise couldn't afford to attend. Please contact me for tickets.
December 2 – 7:30pm Manheim Steamroller @ SUU Centrum (tickets start at $54)
December 4 – 7:30pm SUU Orchestra @ Heritage Center (I can probably get free tickets to hand out for this one too).
December 13 and 14 – 7:30pm Orchestra of Southern Utah – Messiah –@ Heritage Center - Free (get there early)
December 15 – CVMS Orchestra @ Canyon View MS time? Free
December 16 – 7:00pm CHS Orchestra @ Cedar High School
There are more string concerts down in St. George, Vegas, and up in SLC. This is just a quick list I was able to find online around Cedar City. Any string concert will work.
4. It is so great when I ask the class who practiced last night and almost every student in the class has a hand raised! Thank you for all you do to encourage your child to practice every day. It helps your child improve and it helps our orchestra sound its best!
Have a great week!